Submachine 3: The Loop
Submachine 3: The Loop (or Sub3) is the third installment of the main Submachine series.
The player begins in a room - the origin, (0,0) - in each of the 11 puzzles and by moving up, down, right and left can move to exact replicas of the starting room. The only difference is that some feature maps, levers or other puzzle-related devices. It is soon evident that the Loop, the structure the game takes place in, is actually an infinite coordinate plane with each room representing a point. For example, the room two rooms to the right and one up from the origin (0,0) is called (2,1). To navigate the Loop, at the beginning the player finds a compass which shows the coordinate pair of their current location.
The two endings
The puzzles are of varying difficulty. Unique among the Submachine series, two endings are possible: the first, in which the player collects a leaf and "breaks the Loop," escaping; and the second, in which the player solves the final puzzle and starts falling down the Loop, eventually dying of dehydration from the long (endless) fall.
List of locations
On the 5th of July 2006, Mateusz stated that development was going smoothly and that the game would be finished within a month, provided he would get the music for it. He also said that he'd heard the negative reactions to the puzzle where you had to catch four sticks in a small square in the previous games, and would focus on brain puzzles exclusively in future installments. He also said he would bring back the menu, since hiding it in Submachine 2 hadn't been a very good idea. He was also tweaking the game's engine.
The actual game was finished on the 14th of July, 2006, and Mateusz was only left waiting for the music and some final touches.
The game was released on the 3rd of August, 2006.
On July 21, 2014, an HD version of the game was released. This version runs on the Float engine and features minor updates to the content and graphics. It is also the first HD to introduce some new additions to the plot, in the form of four notes at level 0, one in each of the four rooms diagonally adjacent to (0,0), accessible after collecting the coordinate device.
- Several of the level codes are based on the Polish language:
- WINDA - lift
- BANDA - gang/crew (also means this in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian)
- ANELKA - Polish female name
- BOTWINKA - beetroot leaves
- Also, SYNTAGMA is used as the title of a comic book by the same author (Mateusz Skutnik).
|v · d · eSubmachine 3: The Loop levels|
|Level 0 • Level 1 • Level 2 • Level 3 • Level 4 • Level 5 • Level 6 • Level 7 • Level 8 • Level 9 • Level 10 • Level 11|
|Passage-machine • Green leaf • Compass|
|Main series||1: The Basement • 2: The Lighthouse • 3: The Loop • 4: The Lab • 5: The Root |
6: The Edge • 7: The Core • 8: The Plan • 9: The Temple • 10: The Exit
|Side series||Ancient Adventure • Future Loop Foundation • FLF • 32 Chambers • Submachine Universe • The Engine • The Explorers|
|Other games||iSubmachine • Sketch of Submachine 2 • Card Game|
- ↑ Submachine 3: The Loop, 3 Aug 2006, JayisGames.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Submachine 3: the Loop HD release timestamp, 27 Aug 2014, Mateusz Skutnik.
- ↑ News, 13 Jun 2006, Mateusz Skutnik.
- ↑ Forum post, Submachine: your ideas and general comments, page 1, 7:24 am 5 Jul 2006, Mateusz Skutnik.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Forum post, Submachine: your ideas and general comments, page 1, 1:55 pm 5 Jul 2006, Mateusz Skutnik.
- ↑ News, 3 Aug 2006, Mateusz Skutnik.